Return to the "Murder at the Veterans' Club" cover page
- The quick and easy way
- The slow, sure way
- Signing in with Inkshares (creating an account)
- Setting up your account
- Pre-ordering a book
- Saving on the shipping fees
- Cutting down your email traffic
- How to browse by genre and/or find stuff
THE QUICK AND EASY WAY
The quick and easy method is to simply go to the book project page, choose a pre-order option, and follow the instructions. The process should be as follows:
- Enter email address
- Enter credit card details
- Enter shipping address if you've ordered a printed copy
- "Order confirmed!
HOWEVER: While the process is really easy, deviating from the process in any way (say you change your mind about something, or you decide to put this aside for a day to deal with something else) could cause the whole thing to go wildly and wierdly wrong. I believe it is better to go by the slower, surer way, outlined below.
THE SLOWER, SURER WAY
1) Sign on with Inkshares.
- Go to www.inkshares.com.
- At the top right corner of the page, there should be the words "SIGN IN". Single-click it.
- This will open a popup that says "Sign in or create an account."
- You can use your Facebook account to make an account. OR you can enter your email address and a password, then single-click the green "sign in via email" rectangle.
- (If you use the email/password method, be sure to remember exactly what email you used, because it is very easy to accidentally create a new account the next time you try to sign in, if you enter in a different email.)
2) Set up your account. (Optional)
Once you've signed in, you can identify yourself by name on the site; I don't know what happens when you sign on with Facebook, but signing on with email gives you an account with the name "Reader Writer".
- Single-click the little circular picture up in the top right, where "SIGN IN" used to be.
- This will give you the "Account" menu. Single-click "Profile".
- You will now be on your profile page. At the top right, underneath the tiny circular picture, you should see the words "EDIT PROFILE". Single-click it.
- You can now change the text in any of the rectangles with yellow borders. Single-click inside them to change your name or your description.
- You can also put in your own picture if you want. Single-click the word "change" under the round portrait on the left, and choose a small picture from your computer.
- When you are finished, single-click the green "SAVE" rectangle in the upper right corner.
- Make sure you are logged in.
- You should see a circle with a picture in it up in the top right corner, where "SIGN IN" used to be.
- Go to the book you want to order.
- Assuming this is my book, the page is HERE.
- You can click the link above, and if you were logged in before, you should still be logged in when your browser opens up the page.
- Single-click one of the three purchase options to choose it.
- Option 1 is an e-book only. When the book is published, you will get a download link but not a print copy. As such, it has no shipping fee.
- Option 2 is a single print copy, signed by the author, AND an e-book.
- Option 3 is multiple print copies, from 3 to 10 inclusive, all signed by the author, AND an e-book.
- You should now be on a page asking you for your credit card details.
- Enter the relevant details, then single-click the green rectangle at the bottom.
- You will be asked to confirm your order. Make sure the information is correct. Single-click to confirm.
- Following this, you'll be asked for your shipping address. Fill it in.
- If your address is outside the U.S., the order will now be updated with the shipping fees. Confirm the order again, if this is the case. (Note: this will cause the system to cancel your order and create a new one with the shipping fee included. This is normal.)
- Wait for the order confirmation email to arrive.
Below is some additional information that may be helpful.
NOTE ABOUT SHIPPING FEES FOR NON-U.S. ORDERS
There is a shipping fee for all orders outside the U.S.. For this reason, I strongly suggest that people ordering outside the U.S. form groups of 3 to 10, and have just one person in the group pick Option 3 for as many books as the group requires, then redistribute the books when they arrive. The total shipping fee for Option 3 is the same as the total shipping fee for Option 2, and you will be able to share it among the group members.
HOW TO NOT GET FLOODED WITH EMAILS AFTER ALL THIS
- Go to your profile page. Beside "Edit Profile" is the word "Account". Single-click "Account".
- You will get a menu of options. Single-click "Email Preferences".
- You will now be on a page with a lot of options, with checkboxes beside them.
- Uncheck the boxes beside the sorts of email you do not want.
- If you don't want ANY email at all, uncheck the first box: "All email from Inkshares". (I don't recommend this.
At the very least, I think you should leave Credits checked; I think you should also leave Project, Recommendations, and Messages checked.)
HOW TO BROWSE BY GENRE AND/OR FIND STUFF
- On the bar at the top of your screen, somewhere towards the middle, there is a little magnifying glass icon beside the word "SEARCH". Single-click on the word.
- You should now be on a screen with a column of books on one side, and a column of genre options in grey on the other. You can single-click on the genre options to change the column of books to those of the genre you want. A second single-click unselects the option.
- You can also type into the "SEARCH" space to find something specific. Note: it is best to use keywords, or single words from a title, instead of trying to type the whole title. Make sure you have the correct genre selected, or no genre selected at all, because the search will automatically take place inside that genre, ignoring hits outside it.
Return to the "Murder at the Veterans' Club" cover page